DATE: Wednesday 8th June 2022
TIME: 9.30am to 2.30pm
KEY STAGE: Key Stage 2
(priority given to yrs 5 & 6)
COST: This event is free of charge.
PRE-VISIT BRIEFING (PVB): All schools must send a representative to the PVB, without the PVB, we cannot accept schools on the Countryside Classroom Day.
The day includes two trails each lasting for half a day:
Site A – Albury Park
- Forestry Enterprise and study of the trees on the Estate. Groups will walk through the woodland and the Estate foresters will demonstrate tree planting, woodland management, tree felling and timber movement.
- Local Beekeepers, who keep their hives in the woodland, will demonstrate their craft. http://reigatebeekeepers.org.uk/
- The Pheasant Shoot. The Tenant of the Shoot will explain how pheasants are reared and demonstrate predator control. The children will be shown how gun dogs are trained.
Site B – The Heathland and the Trout Fishery
- Heathland – Surrey Wildlife Trust Rangers will lead activities on Albury Heath to demonstrate the importance of this habitat (www.surreywildlifetrust.org). Live examples of the animals found there will be shown by members of The Amphibian and Reptile Conservation Trust – visit their website www.arc-trust.org
- · A visit to the Trout Fishery will include demonstrations of fish rearing, fly-fishing and fly tying. http://alburyestatefisheries.co.uk/fish-farm/
For further information contact Gary Richardson